Friday, January 9, 2015

Mini blintzes

Hugging---fur kids' style
There's nothing like a hug from fur kids or humans. There's even benefit from hugging a tree. Hugging relieves stress and makes you feel calmer because it increases the level of the feel good hormone, oxytocin. I've needed a lot of hugging recently, ever since I flew over the handlebars of my bike after hitting a patch of ice. The result was a broken wrist, requiring surgery, and numerous other bone and muscle injuries.

I sobbed after hitting the pavement and realizing what I had done. Yes, it was painful but that's not the reason I cried. In an instant, all the ramifications of the accident flashed through my mind. I had finally learned how to manage my fibromyalgia and its assorted health problems. I knew this injury would set me back months to when my symptoms were not controlled.

It's a good thing at the time I didn't know how badly the accident would set me back. Unfortunately, now I know. The poor sleep, persistent stomach problems, fatigue and widespread pain (typical fibromyalgia symptoms) have usurped the wrist as my problem.

Fortunately, I know what to do to put my body back under control. But it's harder this time, especially since I know just a few short months ago, I felt the best I had in years.

I guess I need to share my journey with others this time. That's why I am changing the look and title of my blog to Fibromyalgia: Meet Your Match. I hope others will benefit from what I share.

Mini blintzes filled with lactose-free yogurt and dab of sunbutter
Fibromyalgia sufferers have ongoing stomach and digestive problems so food will still be a focus. Exercise is another important component of fibro management that I will discuss.We also need lots of joy so I hope my fur kids will send you hugs through the internet.
Roll them or eat them flat or even plain
Right now, I am relying on mini-meditation breaks throughout the day to help me with pain and stomach problems. Next post, I will discuss meditation's benefits.

Right now, let's not discount the importance of eating healthy, nutritious and delicious food. I need to eat low carb because fibromyalgia sufferers often have bacterial overgrowths, such as candida, parasites or other bad bacteria. These bad guys don't go away easily. The best way to control them is to not give them carbohydrates. I'm not just talking table sugar. I mean fruit, starchy veggies, grains, legumes, seed and nut butters.

I eat some of these things but in sparse quantities. I mainly follow a modified paleo diet which is high in protein and veggies. I do include lactose-free dairy (not strict paleo), including yogurt, kefir and some cheeses.

Here's one of my favorite snack-treats, mini blintzes.

You need:
1 egg
2 T. farmers' cheese
1 T. sunbutter or other seed or nut butter
stevia, to taste
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla powder or extract
Additional sunbutter and yogurt for filling

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spritz the parchment paper lightly with olive oil. Mix the ingredients in a small bowl. Use a tablespoon to divide the mixture into six mounds on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Remove the oven and allow to cool.
Eat the cookies as they are or roll them into blintzes by filling with a dab of lactose-free yogurt, sunbutter or even a drizzle of chocolate.

Post/recipe contributed to:
 http://wholenewmom.com/traditional-tuesday/peppermint-patties-dark-act-chocolate-chip-cookies/

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Having Problems FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

Do you want to munch on some delicious recipes TONIGHT?

Download your amazing Paleo Hacks Cookbook.