Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Trail-mix kale for backpacking or anytime snacking

Tired dog at the end of the trail
One more backpacking adventure awaits me before the snow flies or the temps get too cold. This summer, I've had the great fortune of visiting nine high mountain lakes. I've packed along some delicious backpacking food for someone who is pretty restricted on eating.



More red blaze
 I've shifted more to a paleo diet in order to get enough protein for all these high mountain adventures. Candida prevents me from eating grains, legumes and many of the other protein sources utilized by vegans. Right now, the paleo diet is the perfect fit for me.
Trail mix kale with seeds and freeze-dried pears
 I've got a ton of kale growing in my garden. I used my Tuscan kale to create Trail-mix kale, something I'm really looking forward to packing along on my next backpacking trip. My first batch never made it to a Ziploc baggie for packing.
 Here's what you need for 3 servings:

1 bunch of kale
1/2 cup each raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 /2 cup freeze-dried pears or sub dried fruit of your choice (omit for ACD-Phase 1)
2 T. unsweetened sunbutter
juice of one lemon
vanilla stevia, to taste
2 T. water
Optional: add other dried fruit or nuts
 Here's what you do:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Use your dehydrator for a raw version. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Wash kale and dry well. I used paper towels to blot mine dry. Remove leaves from stems and tear the kale into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl with seeds and freeze dried pears.

 
Mix sunbutter, lemon juice, water, stevia and cinnamon in your food processor. Pour this mixture over the kale, seeds and fruit. Use your hands to massage in the sunbutter mixture. Make sure all leaves and seeds are coated.

Spread the kale trail mix evenly over your baking sheet or dehydrator sheet. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes. Check frequently to prevent overcooking. For the dehydrator, I would start checking at two hours, especially if you are using Tuscan kale which tends to be a bit drier than other varieties.

Enjoy your kale trail mix while backpacking, hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, cycling or just snacking.

Recipe contributed to: http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2013/09/raw-foods-thursdays-92613/
http://wholenewmom.com/traditional-tuesday/decadent-double-chocolate-bites-pumpkin-doughnuts-carrot-cake-ice-cream-w-cookies-natural-adrenal-healing-more/
and
http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2013/09/its-linky-party_27.html
and
http://www.rickiheller.com/2013/09/wellness-weekend-september-26-30-2013/#more-20761

3 comments:

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat said...

I seriously think this is the most creative kale recipe I've ever seen! I'm so curious to taste kale and sunbutter! Thanks for sharing it at Raw Foods Thursdays!

Sheree Welshimer said...

You are so complimentary. I appreciate it.

Blogger said...

Having Trouble FOLLOWING with the Paleo Diet?

Want to eat some delicious recipes as soon as TONIGHT?

Get your amazing Paleohacks Cookbook.