Sunday, May 5, 2013

Avocado berry sorbet, ACD-friendly



Avocado berry sorbet, ACD-friendly


I am a sunflower seed butter (A.K.A. sunbutter) lover, just in case you couldn't tell by perusing the recipes in my blog. Recently, I read that most commercially-prepared seed and nut butters contain starch as the seeds or nuts are roasted in a starch coating. That gave me pause for concern as I usually buy my sunbutter. AND I am avoiding starch like the plague.

I decided to do some digging on my two favorite brands, MaraNatha and SunButter. Both brands listed nothing but sunflower seeds and salt on the ingredients' labels. I wanted to make doubly sure so I contacted both companies to verify that there weren't some hidden ingredients. In both cases, I was told the products do not contain starch. I purchase the unsweetened sunbutter.

You never can be too careful, especially when you have a chronic problem, like candida, food sensitivities or digestive issues. If you are unsure of your brand, simply contact the company or make your own. Here is my recipe for homemade sunbutter:
http://catsinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-sunbutter-and-pumpkin-butter.html

Finally, a sorbet I can eat!


It's finally warm enough to start craving something cool, creamy and frozen, like sorbet, ACD-style, and made with avocado, berries and pear. There is no need for an ice cream freezer with this sorbet as long as you use frozen fruit.

Here's what your need for 4 small servings or two generous ones:
ACD-phase 2, 3, maintenance


 Flesh of one avocado
1 cup frozen berries of your choice (I used blackberries.)
1 frozen Bartlett pear (no need to peel)
1 cup vegan or other plain yogurt
Optional: 1 T. sunbutter or other seed or nut butter, unsweetened and starch-free
Topping: 1 T. melted coconut butter

Here's what you do:

Put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth, creamy and deliciously frozen. To serve, top with some additional berries and a drizzle of melted coconut butter. Note: For a Phase 1 version, omit the pear and use unsweetened coconut milk in place of yogurt.

"Can you believe how Mom just tossed her bike clothes here?"


Recipe contributed to:
http://dietdessertndogs.com/2013/05/02/wellness-weekend-may-2-6-2013/
http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2013/05/allergy-friendly-lunchbox-love-5313.html

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks amazing! It would be a great addition to 5-Ingredient Mondays (http://siftstirandsavour.com/2013/05/05/5-ingredient-mondays-sugar-free-cherry-citrus-popsicles-vegan-gluten-free/), if you're interested :)

Sheree Welshimer said...

Thanks for asking. I will contribute.

Blogger said...

3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!