Monday, March 12, 2012

St. Patty's Pear-Avocado Smoothie and Spicy Collard Wrap

Bailey enjoys a sunny window perch
I'm not a big fan of holidays but for some reason, I've always liked St. Patrick's Day, March 17. I'm not even Irish. I think I just like green.

I'm hoping to enjoy St. Patty's Day much more this year. Last year, late winter/early spring was all about watching my pal, Pumpkin, die of feline AIDs.  Now look at me. I've got more pet pals than I ever imagined.

Misha mugging for the camera.
This year I think I'm getting a jump on St. Patty's Day by eating lots of green food. Okay, what am I thinking? I always eat lots of green food. I'm a vegetarian. By that standard, I'd be celebrating St. Pat's all year-round.

Okay, enough of this foolishness. How about a pale green Pear-Avocado Smoothie for breakfast on St. Pat's Day or a deep green Spicy Butternut Collard Wrap for lunch or dinner?

St. Pat's Day Smoothie in pale green


St. Pat's Day Smoothie
(serves 1)

Ingredients:
  • 1 small ripe avocado
  • 1 small ripe pear, cored but not peeled
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened hemp milk or other non-dairy beverage
  • 1 T. unsweetened sunbutter or other nut or seed butter
  • stevia to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 6+ ice cubes
  • optional: 1 tsp. toasted pumpkin seeds or sprig of mint for garnish
Directions:
  • Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy in a high-powered blender.
  • Serve topped with a sprinkle of green pumpkin seeds or sprig of fresh mint.
Spicy Butternut Collard Wrap


Spicy Butternut Collard Wrap

Ingredients:
  • 1 large collard leaf
  • Dollop of spicy red pepper spread
  • Slice of roasted butternut squash
  • Shredded red cabbage
  • Other roasted veggies such as zucchini
Ingredients for the Spicy Red Pepper Spread
  • 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika powder
  • 3 T. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. miso paste
  • 2 T. water
  • 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili pepper powder
  • 1/2 cup roasted red peppers from a jar
  • salt to taste
Directions:
  • Blend the ingredients for the Spicy Red Pepper Spread in a food processor. You will have extra for other wraps. I also used it as a marinade on grilled tofu.
  • Spread 1 T. of spread on the trimmed collard leaf. Add the other ingredients and carefully roll up.
Recipes contribed to: http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/03/08/wellness-weekend-march-8-12-2012/

No comments: