Saturday, July 16, 2011

Whole Amaranth Seed Chocolate Chip Cookies








Kona makes a great pillow for Misha.

Those little seeds are whole amaranth.

My husband and I are celebrating four decades of marriage this weekend. I decided to celebrate by making his and her's chocolate chip cookies. His have almost all the regular ingredients and mine are well, different but tasty.

The unique ingredient in my cookies is whole amaranth seed. Actually, I mixed in some whole amaranth in the cookies I made for my husband and he loved the extra crunch. I confess too that I used cacao nibs instead of chocolate chips in both versions and replaced the sugar with low-glycemic yacon syrup.

Whole Amaranth Seed Chocolate Chip Cookies
 (makes about 12 small cookies)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flour
  • 1/4 cup whole amaranth seed
  • 1/4 cup amaranth flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 T. flax mixed with 3 T. water
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • dash sea salt
  • 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
  • 2 T. cacao nibs
  • 1/4 cup yacon syrup
  • 1 tsp. powdered stevia
Directions:
  • Mix all the dry ingredients and blend in the oil, syrup and flax mixed with water.  Add an extra tablespoon of water if mixture appears too dry. Blend in the seeds and nibs.
  • Use a teaspoon to measure out the dough onto a sprayed baking sheet.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes in oven preheated to 350 degrees.

3 comments:

Ricki said...

These sound great! I've used millet but never amaranth whole in baking--what a perfect way to use up that jar of amaranth that's sitting in my cupboard! I see choc chip cookies in my (immediate) future. ;)

This is such a great recipe--hope you'll contribute it to Wellness Weekends this week! :)

Ricki said...

And forgot to say HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! That's an incredible milestone--you should be incredibly proud. :D

Sheree Welshimer said...

Thank you for your good wishes and for sharing the link to Wellness Weekends. What a great idea! I will try some of those recipes.