Sunday, July 25, 2010

Minty avocado shake

I started the ACD diet planning to one day be able to return to eating what most people think of as normal which would be a healthy balance of carbohydrates, protein and fats. That was before I discovered that my previous antibiotic overuse and heredity made me extremely sensitive to carbohydrates. What this means is I will be a prime candidate for reoccurring candida, if I don't follow a low-glycemic diet for the rest of my life.

I have people tell me all the time, "Well, you can't eat any of the 'good' stuff." Oh well, I guess I'm "sentenced" to a life of healthy eating.

Mint, avocado and spinach combined into a shake may sound like punishment to some but I definitely found it very easy to polish off most of an "minty avocado shake" before I realized I should take a picture. After snapping a picture of the now "mini" shake pictured above, I finished off the rest.

Minty Avocado Shake
(serves 1-2)
  1. 1/2 small avocado
  2. 1 cup packed spinach
  3. 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk
  4. 2 T. vegan rice protein
  5. 1/2 tsp. guar gum powder
  6. 2 T. fresh mint leaves
  7. 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
  8. 1/2-3/4 tsp. peppermint extract (Use an alcohol-free variety.)
  9. 20 or more drops of alcohol-free stevia (Use agave nectar if not on ACD.)

Blend all the ingredients until smooth in a blender or food processor. Adding the guar gum gives the shake a creamier texture. Enjoy with a sprig of mint on top.


Kona and Pumpkin sack out on a hot summer afternoon.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I LOVE putting avocado in my green smoothies. It makes it so smooth and creamy, and it packs a heck of a nutritional (and beauty enhancing) punch!

I need to try this recipe, since I have all the ingredients. I know mint is really good for promoting healthy digestion.

Sheree Welshimer said...

I agree. Avocadoes got a bum rap for a long time because they are high in calories. But they really aren't that high in calories if you consider their nutritional punch. Thanks for your comments. Hope you enjoy the avocado shake.