Sunday, March 28, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


I've always craved carbs but since being on the candida diet, I've wanted them even more. The question is how do you stave off the desire for sweets when you shouldn't have them. For me, part of the answer is eating more protein. It helps keep me full longer so I don't want to snack as much. When I do snack, I need to eat something with protein, such as Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
Ingredients:
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (Hint: save some of the bean water to use to thin the hummus if needed.)
1 large red pepper, cut into strips and roasted under the broiler until darkened (Hint: It's not necessary to peel the red pepper before using.)
1 T. chopped red onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 T. tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. cilantro chopped
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning
Directions:
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until blended. Add some of the reserved bean juice if the mixture is too thick. Serve with cut veggies for a great filling snack.

No comments: