Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mediterranean Curry Soup

Yoga is something I practice every day. I also "suggest," not nag, on a regular basis that my husband to do more stretching. My suggestions usually fall on deaf ears except on rare occasions as captured in the photo above. My husband has found a stretching partner, Kona, who likes to reward effort with lots of slups.


I enjoy getting "slups" from Kona too but I especially like getting her to warm me up as an extra big lap dog on a cold winter day. Another winter warm-up for me is a hot bowl of soup.
A recipe for a spicy, curry veggie soup caught my eye recently in a magazine while I was waiting for an appointment. If I could remember the recipe, I knew what I wanted to fix for dinner as soon as I got home. The soup ended up being delicious although it was more my creation since I added chicken and couldn't recall all the ingredients.
Mediterranean Curry Soup
(serves 4)
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
2 T. olive oil
1/2 medium chopped onion
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. fresh grated gingerroot
1 zucchini, diced
1/4 head cauliflower, chopped into small bite-size pieces
1 carrot, diced
1/2 cup garbanzo beans
Optional: chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds and coriander seeds, toasted
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cardamon
1 tsp. Indian curry
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. coriander
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups vegetable broth (Imagine makes a good one without added sugar.)
Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Saute the garlic, ginger and onions until soft. Add the zucchini, carrot and cauliflower and continue sauteeing until tender. Toss in the spices, salt and pepper to taste, and stir. Add the chicken, garbanzo beans and the broth, and heat to a simmer. Garnish the soup with toasted seeds and chopped cilantro and serve.
Note: I really like the spiciness of this soup but feel free to adjust the amount of each spice.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Sheree! I'm a fellow blogger who's been lurking on your blog ever since your friend Dan introduced me via comments on a mutual friend's facebook wall. I wanted to stop being a lurker and tell you how much I enjoy your heartfelt stories and recipes. This one looks divine (I'm a vegan, so I'll try it with tofu or tempeh instead of chicken)!

Keep up the writing. You're doing a wonderful thing here.

Dan said...

Hi Sheree! I'm still lurking as well. :) This one also looks really good. I'll hafta give it a try after I whittle down the fridge full of leftovers remaining from Kate's parents' visit. :)

Sheree Welshimer said...

Thank you, you two. The curry soup recipe is super simple to make and you can easily make a vegan version with tofu or tempeh or by adding more garbanzo beans instead of the chicken.