Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sunbutter Quinoa Cookies

I love sunbutter, in fact, maybe a little too much. I have to limit how often I open the jar because once I get started there's no stopping me. It's a delicious alternative to peanut butter. Sunbutter is made from ground-up sunflower seeds and is very high in Vitamin E. I don't really miss peanut butter at all with sunbutter. The only down side is that it's a bit pricey. Oh and I forgot. The second down side is I can't quit eating it.

I'm still suffering with my sinus infection so I decided to pamper myself with some Sunbutter Quinoa Cookies. They are very tasty but unfortunately, because of my chronic sinus problems, I couldn't get the full impact of their taste or smell. However, my husband, whose nose and taste buds are fully operational, said he can smell the cookies as soon as he opens the refrigerator where I have the extras stored. And I'll have to say he's been opening the refrigerator quite often to grab a cookie. Here's the easy recipe.

Sunbutter Quinoa Cookies

Dry Ingredients:
2/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup sweet rice flour (or you can use corn starch if it's okay for you)
1 cup quinoa flakes
1 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Wet Ingredients:
3/8 cup canola oil
3/8 cup sunbutter (I use the kind with no sugar added)
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup vanilla rice milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with pan spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl with wet ingredrients and mix thoroughly.

Use 1-2 T. balls of dough or larger if you want bigger cookies. Roll the dough into balls and then flatten with a fork dipped in flour on a cookie sheet. Bake larger cookies for 12-15 minutes or smaller ones for 8-10 minutes or until they seem dry and slightly golden. Allow to cool thoroughly before removing from the cookie sheet because they tend to fall apart if moved too soon. Use a spatula to remove them. Enjoy! Hopefully, you don't have a cold or stuffed-up nose so you can savor every bite and taste.

No comments: